15 Important Points About Estimating
- Before starting any estimate of building, road and bridge, it should be seen that the plans are fully dimensioned , inner and outer dimensions should be checked before starting the estimate to avoid complications later on.
- The estimate should be drawn sub-head-wise, to avoid omission of any item.
- The nomenclature of every item should be according to the sanctioned schedule of rates to avoid claims of the contractors later on.
- All items should be calculated in units, according to which the payment is to to be made (chapter on, units)
- A detailed report according to the sub-heads should be attached. This should be self explanatory giving complete information.
- Detailed drawings should be attached with every detailed estimate, with north line on the plan.
- Detailed specifications of every item should be attached so that the work should be carried out accordingly & the specifications should be according to the latest edition of the P.W.D. specifications.
- In order to make the estimate a comprehensive one, provision of electric & water supply should be made.
- In the end of estimate, an abstract of cost giving cost of every sub-head and total cost should be attached. A provision of contingencies & petty establishment @5% should be added in the end of abstract of cost.
- The rate per sq. metre should be worked out & it should be given in the end of abstract of the building estimate. This helps in future reference.
- In case of Road estimate, rate per Km. should also be worked out.
- The road estimate should mention the special features of the alignment so followed & also whether the soling is of bricks or of stone, should be mentioned in the report of estimate.
- In case of bridges & culverts, rate per metre (width) to be worked out.
- Current applicable premium above C.S.R. should be added before finding out the unit rate i.e., plinth or per km rate.
- Checkout all rate of material current rate.