The main advantages of very tall buildings are:
- They save space and accommodate more residents as compared to shorter buildings.
- The higher floors are relatively more airy and receive more sunlight.
- Taller buildings are a better option for the idea of a green building since they are more lit, airy and provide more surface area to install solar panels.
- They are much more economical as buying a small land and constructing a tall building is more affordable than purchasing a widespread land.
The major disadvantages are:
- The construction of very tall buildings requires highly skilled engineers and architects to design the building, thus increasing the total cost.
- Very tall buildings bear wind forces and seismic forces apart from dead and live loads.
- Buildings above 100 story height face the problem of oscillation, sometimes resulting in crashing of windowpanes (e.g. the case of .)
- The foundations of very tall buildings with smaller construction land are under tremendous load and failing of soil may lead to collapse of the building.
- Constant oscillations may give a nauseating feeling to the residents of the building.