As per the Nagpur Pl, the roads are classified as
- i) National highways
- ii) State highways
iii) District highways
- a) major district roads
- b) minor district roads
- iv) village roads
NECESSARY OF CLASSIFYING ROADS:- To plan a road network for efficient and safe traffic operation , and for knowing the clear information of a particular root in a country, the classification of roads is necessary.
- NATIONAL HIGHWAYS:- These are the important roads of the country. They connect state capitals, ports and foreign highways. They also include roads of military importance. They are financed by the central government.
- STATE HIGHWAYS :- these are the important roads of a state. They connect important cities and district head quarters in the state , national highways & state highways of neighbouring states. They are financed by state government roads and buildings department of the state government constructs & maintain these roads.
- DISTRICT ROADS :- these are the roads within a district . they are financed by zillaparishads with the help of grants given by state government.
- THE MAJOR DISTRICT ROADS:- They are roads connecting district head
- quarters, taluk head quarters and other important town in the district production and
market centers with each other and with state & national highways & railways.
- OTHER DISTRICT ROADS :- They are district roads of less importance
- VILLAGE ROADS:- they connect villages with each other and to the nearest district road. They are financed by panchayats with the help of zillaparishads and state government.