Construction Stages of Building A House
Let detailed step by step Construction Stages of Building A House point by point given below:
1. After excavation is completed, the bed concrete of 15 cm thick is laid in cement concrete 1:3:6 or 1:4:8 or 1:5:10. (Proportions are explained in the relevant sections).
2. Size stone masonry: After curing of bed concrete for one week, size stone masonry is constructed. In size stone masonry, every joint is staggered and bond stones are provided at every 2 M apart in each course and in both faces also. The gap between two size stones is to be filled with proper boulders of adequate size. There must be sufficient gap for allowing mortar to flow up to bottom. After filling the gaps with boulders, cement mortar of required mix say 1:4 or 1:6 may be poured to the gap by using slurry type cement mortar so that no gap is left between size stone and boulders.
3. After the Size stone masonry, plinth concrete of mix 1:2:4 or 1:1.5:3 is laid over the size stone masonry. Jelly used for concreting shall be 20 mm and down size.
4. The laying of plinth concrete is followed by earth filling and consolidation up to plinth level and filled earth is flooded with water.
5. Super structure: walls, lintels, beams, roof slab etc. Walls are constructed of different materials such as bricks, concrete (hollow or solid) blocks, stones,stabilised blocks etc; Lintel beams are made. of RCC, precast slabs,cuddapaha slabs, brick on edge etc. Roof slab is made of RCC, Mangalore tiles, sheets, filler slabs, reinforced brick slab etc.
6. Joinery Work: doors, windows, ventilators. Materials used are wood, steel,aluminum etc.
7. Plastering( 12mm thick internal plaster with proportion of 1 Cement:4 fine sand and external plaster of 15-20 mm thick in proportion of 1 cement:4 coarse sand)
8. Flooring Work: Tiles, Slabs etc. cement mortar of required thickness be used.No hollow portion should be left below while laying the tiles.
9. Weather Proof Course: Traditional method is Surki using burnt brick bats and lime, Cement Concrete 1:2:4 with water proofing compounds. Proper sloping towards drains should be maintained. Modern materials such as water/weather proof chemicals in the form of powder or liquid are mixed in specified proportions with cement mortar and weather proofing is done.
10. A building work includes internal electrification, sanitary and water supply works and a percentage of about 20% of the estimated cost of building is provided. The provisions are made as follows;
– Sanitary and water supply = 8% of estimated cost of work.
– Electrification including Fans = 12% of the estimated cost work.
The whole work is divided into different items such as (1) Earthwork,(2)Concrete, (3)Stone/Brick work, (4)Wood work, (5)Steel work, (6)Roofing,(7)Flooring, (8)Plastering and pointing, (9)Painting, (10) White Washing, (11)Miscellaneous items
Ebook to read The Engineer’s Manual of Construction Site Planning
Above all are general steps to be followed in Construction Stages of Building a House