Field Tests for Quality of Steel
What to Observe in Reinforcement Steel
The following physical observations may be made at site_
All the reinforcement shall be clean and free from rust; mild scales, dust, paint, oil, grease, adhering earth or any other materials or coating that may impair the bond between the concrete and reinforcement or cause corrosion of the reinforcement or disintegration of concrete.
The bars should be cut properly which otherwise would caused problems during bar bending V
The bars should be bent at site;
i. to check whether it can be bent easily or not
ii. to check whether any cracks appear during/after bending
What to Check in Reinforcement
1. Check, count and verify whether the main and secondary reinforcement bars are in conformity with construction drawings, specifications and schedules
2. Check whether the size, unit weight, type and grade of reinforcement bars are in accordance with specifications and drawings and steel schedule.
3. Verify whether the test results of steel for tensile strength, bending strength are in conformity with requirements.
4. Check whether the main and secondary bars are securely and rigidly tied.
5. Confirm that the tie wires are tight and closely cut(not to be too long) in order not to project out of concrete.
6. Check whether the reinforcement bars are free of rust, oil, fractures etc., and if they need anti corrosive treatment.
7.Check to verify that no scrap bars are used on site.
8. Check and measure the lapping length of steel and use additional bars if lapping length is inadequate with properties to ensure adequate bonding.
9. Check spacing between bars as per specifications and design drawings.
Inadequate amounts of bars, too large spacing, inadequate lapping lengths will require additional bars to be placed.
Ebook to read Design of Steel Structures
Field Tests for Assessing the Quality of Steel
1. Measuring weight per metre of steel bar: The weight/m of the bar can be tested at site by cutting a bar to 1 M land checking its weight. The weight measures must lie in the range specified in the table.
2. Measuring pitch per twist: For a twisted bar, the distance between each twist can_be measured at site. The pitch should lie between 8 to 12 times diameter of the bar.