Repair of Rainwater Leakage In Buildings
Roof drainage of flat and sloped roofs are carried out differently.Drainage of a flat roof requires more attention than that of a sloped roof as any faculty construction can flood the flat roof and lead to leakage and corrosion of steel in the roof slabs in the roof slabs in the long run.Hence attention should be given to proper drainage of these roofs.If the concrete is porouse,water can seep through during heavy rains.
Similarly drainage of large sloped areas as in industrial sheds,should be properly detailed.There are many case histories of very large damages occurring in factories during heavy rains due to faulty design and blocking of drainage pipes due to bad maintenance of roof drainage systems.when repairing for a rainwater leakage,it is the most important consideration to find the exact source of the leakage and then treat it efficiently using the right materials.Rebuilding the structure in the system to prevent leakage is rather costly and in many cases unnecessary.
Read more Reinforced Concrete Analysis and Design
Leakage of rainwater in building is very annoying and also damaging.It spoils materials and equipments stored in the rooms.Electrical circuits with earth leakage circuit brakers (ELCB) will trip with wet walls.Otherwise the electric leakage in wet walls can give shocks and is dangerous to the occupants.The most important factors Repair of Rainwater Leakage are the following:
- The material that is used for repair is suitable for the repair.
- The source of leakage should be carefully identified and rectified.
Material used for waterproofing
- Integral waterproofing compounds.
- Waterproof coating on concrete with special coatings which with capillary action forms compounds inside the capillaries in concrete.
- Waterproof coatings such as hot blown asphalt.
- Membranes with blown asphalt as in tar felt.
- Elastomeric coatings with elastomeric paints.
- Elastomeric coatings with reinforced fibre of polyester or glass fibre fabrics for crack bridging.
- Epoxy compounds (such as araldite).