Role and Responsibilities of the Contractors in Construction
Contractors are responsible for the execution and completion of the work(s) in accordance with the contractual provisions, specified standards & specifications and within the contractual time and contract price for the work(s). For the turnkey contracts, contractors are also responsible for preparing design, drawings, quantity surveying, cost estimation etc. and obtaining their approval.
Not withstanding the full provisions of the respective contracts documents, Contractors are responsible for providing the following Contractors in Construction:
- Adequacy of necessary plant, equipment, construction material, construction technology/methodology and labour to be used in the permanent and temporary works;
- Transportation and storage facilities for all materials and equipment.
- Temporary office and proper hygienic accommodation for staff and labour
- Ensuring health and education facilities for the children of labour if any;
- Drinking water and sanitation facilities at the site;
- Necessary staff and laboratory equipment for testing and quality control.
- Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) to field staffs
- Safety Hand Book for safe engineering practice
- Approved Environmental Management Plan (EMP)
- Construction programme in consultation with the implementing agency and community.
- Execution of all the works as per approved designs and drawings, specification and terms of contract agreement.
Specific Duties of a General Contractor
Purchasing and obtaining materials
A general contractor is also responsible for producing and obtaining the materials needed for the construction. Acquiring the necessary materials for the project is in the hands of the general contractor.This entails proper coordination to various suppliers.
Engage in payroll functions
The general contractor is also responsible for hiring, supervising and sometimes firing employees who do no good in the project. Since it is his responsibility to hire, he must also engage in payroll functions since workers need to be paid and compensated.
Implementation of plans
To ensure that the construction is done in a timely manner, a general contractor needs to implement a plan that extends in hiring workers to establishing a step-by-step timeline or time frame which will serve as a guide from the start of the construction to finish.
Collection of Civil Engineering Ebook Free Download Click Here