Interlocking Bricks is the latest advancement in Wall Construction.These bricks are ‘locked’ against each other without the use of cement mortar, to form a structurally stable wall that reduces the cost and time of construction to almost half.where Sand is becoming increasingly scarce and cement prices are soaring, interlocking bricks come as a welcome alternative to Home builders.Interlocking Bricks are used to construct Walls without the use of Cement Mortar.Laterite Stone is ground and filtered using a sieve, which is then mixed with 5% cement mixture and a chemical setting agent.
This mixture is then machine compressed to form high density Interlocking Bricks.They are manufactured in two widths of 6 inches and 8 inches; and are also available in varying lengths. Each Interlocking Brick has grooves and locks on its sides which can be fitted with each other to form a block wall that does not need cement mortar for bonding.
The roof slab that is placed over these walls will keep them structurally stable.
Advantages of Interlocking Bricks
• Cost-savings as cement and sand are not used for constructing the wall.
• Being a less heat-intensive and natural material,laterite retains coolness inside the house.
• Less labor intensive and more time-saving as the Interlocking blocks need only be fitted to each other; instead of conventional cement mortar construction.
• The Interlocking bricks can be salvaged without damage when the house is being dismantled in the future.
Points to consider
• Make sure that every batch of Interlocking bricks arriving from the factory is tested for strength and consistency.
• Have the Bricks laid evenly with the joint of one course being in the middle of the subsequent course, so as to ensure strength of the wall.
• Plastering towards the bottom of the wall above the foundation will prevent moisture from seeping up the wall.
• It is not advisable to have Interlocking walls in areas which are prone to get wet frequently (like bathrooms).
• Use marble cutters to make channels in the Interlocking Brick wall to get smoother finish for concealed wiring.
• Apply waterproof finish to the wall